Saturday, February 14, 2009

Goal #54: Watch the AMGEN Tour of California Bike Race

Okay, I admit, I put this goal on my list because I was hoping we'd be able to go this weekend. But thinking of 100 things is hard! And I think this was a good goal.

The AMGEN Tour of California race is a big deal. It's the other Tour de France. Lance Armstrong was there. Sacramento hosted the prologue today, which, as I understand it, is a short lap before the race actually starts. Kind of a ceremonial run, I guess?

James and I rode our bikes (in the spirit of the event, of course) to the race. It was at/around the state capitol, which is about 1.5 miles from our house. By the way, we absolutely LOVE living downtown! We walk and bike to all the cool events. I want to be an urbanite forever!

The racers didn't all go at the same time. They went about a minute apart and were timed. We could have sat there for a few hours to wait for all the riders to go through. But that would have been boring.

We watched for 3o minutes or so, then took a lovely bike ride through downtown and midtown, and also went to Macy's to get James some shirts for work.

Tonight is my sister's 21st birthday! Happy birthday Rose! We're going drinking and dancing tonight. The first of many nights out together.

No comments: