Thursday, December 30, 2010

Making the cut for Locks of Love

To be honest with you, I never really felt a strong connection to Locks of Love and similar hair donation organizations. It seemed like a kind of superficial cause - there are people who are hungry and in pain, who cares about having pretty hair?

However, several months ago I realized that my hair was getting super long. I've been growing it long for years, but I started to think it might be fun to change it up. I posted this back in June with some ideas and decided that I love this cut:



And at that point I realized that if I'm going to cut that much hair off, I might as well donate it to a good cause! I checked out the Locks of Love website and found that the longest layer of your hair must be a minimum of 10 inches for them to accept it. I had my friend measure it for me and I made that easily (I wanted it to still be at least shoulder length).

From the FAQ:
Most of the children who receive hairpieces from Locks of Love are little girls, and most want long hair.
That quote convinced me to do this! I was afraid of getting a hair cut that I didn't like, but it will mean so much more to the child who receives a hair piece, helping his or her confidence.

Soooo.... what this post has been leading up to is the fact that I have an appointment to cut my hair this afternoon! I admit that I'm nervous... I'll report back with a picture soon!!

1 comment:

Rebekah said...

That's awesome! I can't wait to see how it looks. I know it will look great!