Friday, July 30, 2010

Wedding flowers, take 3

A few days ago, I tried out DIY flowers for the wedding again (See my first attempt here and my second attempt here). This time I picked up the exact varieties of flowers we'll be using on that day - blue hydrangea, white dahlias, green mums/poms and roses (we'll use white or green... the store only had pink).

First I tried bouquets. Ugh they're so hard!! I truly think that they look better in these pictures than they did in person. I did 3 different versions, and I still don't know which I want to do.

First up - hydrangea only. This is super simple (and easy to do), and I like it. Having an elaborate bouquet is not important to me at all. This one pictured has 3 stems. I'd probably do at least 4 for me and 3 for Rose.


The second one has poms, dahlias and roses. It's so hard to make it round! Keep in mind that the roses wouldn't be pink. Oh and they're the wrong kind. Instead of long stems, there are like 4 on one stem and they'd be too short if you separated them. So I think that made it a bit harder.


Lastly, I made one with hydrangea, dahias and poms. I wanted to see it with only blue, green and white (which is our color scheme).


Which bouquet do you prefer?

Next, centerpieces. Each table will have three mason jars filled with flowers.

This first has dahlias, roses and poms:


This isn't a very good picture, but this one has one hydrangea stem and dahlias, roses and poms:


Hydrangea, dahlias and poms:


Now that I think about it, we'll most likely have a mixture of these arrangements throughout the tables.

Here's the whole centerpiece: 3 mason jars surrounded by 6 tealights.



At the most, our reception will end 36 hours after these are assembled. Here they are after 24 hours... basically the same. The roses were a little wilted but they weren't fresh enough to begin with.


Here they are after about 40 hours. You can see on the left that the hydrangea is browning a little. Won't worry about it though! They look great for the most part.

5 comments:

Rebekah said...

I love the 2nd and the 3rd one, but my favorite would be the 3rd one. It's gorgeous. I love the look of having a mixture of different arrangements on all the tables. The flowers you've picked are beautiful.

MCW said...

You are doing such an amazing job! Creating the flowers is a lot of work!
I like the 3rd bouquet the best...

Rose said...

I love the second and third bouquet!!

I love the idea of mixed bouquets as well... and they look so great with the candles!

and I love that James cooperated holding the bouquet, but never took his eyes off the tv :)

Ms. Emmy N said...

Gorgeous setting, I can't believe you designed it yourselves!! Love the third bouquet!

Jen said...

Wow, look at you!! These are amazing! I really like the last bouquet... especially the slight pop of green ;-) But whatever you choose, it's going to look gorgeous! Keep us posted!!