Monday, March 5, 2012

Anatomy scan

Friday was my anatomy scan - the ultrasound during which all major organs and other good stuff (brain, heart, spine, etc.) are measured to make sure they're developing properly.

For the first part of the exam, the ultrasound tech was measuring everything and had the screen facing away from me. James could see though. Since baby was laying face down, the only shots she had trouble getting were of the heart. At the end I had to pace around the little room for a few minutes to get baby to move, which worked.

At the end, I got to see and she showed us the baby's face, brain, heart, tiny little adorable hands and feet... it wasn't moving much but we did see baby open its mouth and wave its arm! Of course I cried the whole way through.

Some people say to drink a soda before the ultrasound to get baby moving, but it just didn't seem right to me to manipulate my kid like that! Sure, it would have been cool to see him dancing in there, but it's like I said about finding out the sex - we have the rest of our lives to witness this kid moving!

Speaking of which - no we did not find out the sex! The tech didn't even look in that area so there's no one in the world that knows. So cool right?! I don't even feel that curious, strangely.

We got a bunch of pictures printed out, most of them weird and skeleton-looking. But here's the best one. It's baby's profile... but a crappy cell pic of the printout.

Today I had an appointment with my midwife and she went over the results of the ultrasound - thank goodness baby is perfectly healthy, measuring on time and no problems were found! YAY for my perfect little peanut!

After the appointment James and I went to Ikea and purchased the crib and bookshelf for the nursery... and of course I was too excited to wait and they're already assembled :) Pictures coming soon!

6 comments:

Rebekah said...

I'm so glad baby is healthy!

Anonymous said...

Every little baby really is a miraculous gift! There so many important moving parts. I found that motherhood gave me stronger faith. There's only so much we mortals can do. The rest can be left up to prayer.

am258 said...

this totally made me tear up.

once I get new tires for my car- I will definitely need to come up to see you and the little peanut.

<3

Kelly said...

So cute!

Stefanie K. said...

I never was all that curious about the baby's sex either!! Until the end, and then it's just exceedingly exciting the anticipation. So happy baby is healthy!! :)

Anonymous said...

I had my 20th week U/S today and I told the technician, we did not want to know the sex. I think its more exciting this way and the climax of the movie is not revealed till the end :) Good luck to you and baby!