Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Congratulations, President Obama!

As I watched the inauguration of our new President this morning, I remembered this poem by one of my favorite poets, Langston Hughes. I’m not just saying this for dramatic effect, I honestly recalled this poem as I was watching the former Presidents enter the stage.

Children’s Rhymes

By what sends
the white kids
I ain't sent:
I know I can't
be President.
What don't bug
them white kids
sure bugs me:
We know everybody
ain't free.

Lies written down
for white folks
ain't for us a-tall:
Liberty And Justice--
Huh!--For All?


The first time I read this poem (a few years ago), I thought about how sad it is that people are limited by their race. They know that there are limits to their potential success, regardless of their abilities.

Today as our country is led by its first African American President, part of that limitation is gone. Now, children of every background can know that they can be President. They can be anything they want to be, and no one can tell them “no” just because of their race. We have a long way to go, but today is historic nonetheless.

I am proud of my country today, for overcoming prejudice and voting for a great leader. I hope that President Obama can help our country recover and excel.

No comments: